Changing SeasonsOn November 18, 2021 by TheBoard
Winter is here, check out these tips to help keep your home cozy and in good shape:
- Open kitchen and bathroom cabinet doors to allow warmer air to circulate around the plumbing.
- When the weather is very cold outside, let the cold-water drip from the faucet served by exposed pipes. Running water through the pipe – even at a trickle – helps prevent them from freezing.
- On a windy day feel for drafts around doors, windows and exterior walls near the floor, electrical outlets and plumbing. Seal these spaces with caulk and weather stripping to ensure that you’re not wasting energy on heat that escapes through leaks outside.
- Make sure your water heater is in good shape and doesn’t show rust or leaks and has a drip pan.
- Protect water pipes and check your washer and dryer connections, hoses and lint traps. Clean and make repairs if needed.
- Remove any piles of wet leaves that might accumulate on your deck and once a year (at least) clean the algae from your deck surface.
~ Peter Miller